Learn Chain Stitch Embroidery
This intensive beginner class is an introduction to chain stitch embroidery. It is our Stage 1 Beginner Tambour Embroidery Intensive Class for learning crochet de Luneville.
The aim of this class is to introduce the student to the foundation techniques used to master the ancient art of tambour embroidery chain stitching. In France this technique is known as crochet de Luneville and is used to attach beads and sequins to fabric in haute couture.
Online tutorials that teach tambour embroidery are hard to learn independently because you really do need someone to teach you the most subtle skills that online learning doesn't provide.
Tambour embroidery demands attention to detail and developing a feel for the movement and tension required to achieve accuracy and pace. This class will teach you those skills so that you can experience the true joy, rewards and versatility of this beautiful art form.
What you will learn:
In this intensive beginner class you will learn:
- a brief history of tambour embroidery (crochet de Luneville):
- the correct tools to use and how to handle the tambour embroidery hook;
- tips on health and safety for tambour embroidery;
- how to set up a tambour embroidery frame;
- matching threads with a tambour embroidery hook and how to tell which ones are the best fit for a embroidery project;
- stretching fabric on a tambour embroidery frame;
- the basic chain stitch and French terms for chain stitch variations;
- locking the chain stitch;
- how to stitch in different directions;
- marking and transferring a pattern onto fabric for tambour embroidery;
- stitching a basic tambour embroidery pattern using the chain stitch.
The skills learned in this class will enable the student to learn more advanced techniques in our Point de Beauvais class.
If you would like to learn how to apply beads and sequins, we suggest taking our Stage 2 Beginner Tambour Embroidery Intensive Class.
- 3 hours
A class kit with detailed instructions and notes, patterns and essential supplies must be purchased separately. Kit does not include a tambour embroidery hook.
Tambour Embroidery Hook:
We sell professional high quality handmade tambour embroidery hooks and handles imported from France. We recommend purchasing a size 90 point hook for your beginner tambour embroidery class. Hooks and handles are sold individually. You are welcome to bring your own hook or a variety of sized hooks to experiment with during class.
We sell handmade tambour embroidery frames for our classes. If you already have one that can be clamped to the edge of a table, please bring it to the class. We recommend using Irwin Quick Grip clamps available from Bunnings.
We do not recommend bringing a large frame or floor standing frame due to health and safety concerns during class.
If you would like to buy one of our tambour embroidery frames, please let us know and we will make one for you.
To book a class, please contact us with your preferred dates. A 50% deposit is required within 7 days of booking. Balance is payable the day before your class.
If you have any questions please contact us.