Take Tambour Embroidery Classes in Brisbane!
Learn the French haute couture art of tambour embroidery with emerging Australian artist Olivia Torma in Brisbane.
Olivia is recognised as a talented emerging tambour embroidery artist in Australia. Her tambour embroidery talents have also been recognised by the prestigious British embroidery house Hand & Lock in London who have offered Olivia an internship in their atelier. Olivia is the only tambour embroidery artist in Australia that is available to teach this technique on demand at a time suitable for her students. Her classes are available to emerging and established embroidery enthusiasts, practitioners, and fashion designers.
What to Bring
To attend the classes, students will need to bring:
- a tambour embroidery hook (preferably size 90 point);
- an embroidery frame no larger than 40cm wide and preferably one that laces up, or a deep 9-12″ hoop. For this class it’s important that the frame can be easily clamped to the edge of a table using a pair of quick grip clamps (Irwin clamps from Bunnings). Please also ensure it is pre-fitted (not stretched) with a piece of plain cream or white silk organza fabric. The lacing up technique used in tambour embroidery will be demonstrated on Olivia’s tambour embroidery frame.
- our Beginner’s Tambour Beading Kit with a supply of beads, sequins and two pieces of silk organza*.
- a range of polyester threads (Gutermann), beads and sequins to test and explore the challenges and design opportunities with tambour embroidery;
- items you would normally use for hand embroidery such as small scissors, a tape measure, hand sewing needles, general purpose sewing threads, marking pencils, tracing paper, pens, pencils, eraser, a small table lamp and desktop magnifier or glasses, embroidery tweezers, a notebook.
- *Please note, it is not necessary to have the kit mailed to you to attend our tambour embroidery class in Brisbane. We can hold it and bring it to class for you. In this case, please ensure you have a piece of silk organza attached to the frame or hoop you intend to bring. The fabric does not need to be stretched or laced up. If using a frame, it needs to be attached to two bars opposite each other only. Please make sure the grain line is straight. We will cover lacing up and stretching the fabric on a tambour embroidery frame in the class. If you have any questions please contact Olivia.
We have some French tambour embroidery hooks for sale in size 110 point (ideal for novelty threads). Please contact us if you would like to purchase one.
Please download the class schedule by clicking the link below.
Class Cost per Person
$370.00 inc gst
A 20% deposit is payable upfront to secure your booking.
The Beginner’s Tambour Beading Kit must be ordered at the time of booking and brought to the class. Postage for delivery prior to class is additional.
Once a booking is confirmed invoices will be emailed for the deposit and the balance payable in full before the class.
To register your interest and to book your place, please contact us as soon as possible as places are limited.
Rest and Meals
Please refer to the downloadable class schedule above for the rest times. Students can bring their own light meals and refreshments or visit nearby food outlets. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided.